This week’s guest is Amy Kelly.
Amy Kelly is the mother of Danny, Annie, and Ryan. Her daughter Annie is diagnosed with moderate to severe autism, verbal apraxia, intellectual and developmental disabilities, and general anxiety disorder.
Amy Kelly is the National Director of Family Engagement for Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health. Devereux is one of the nation’s oldest and largest nonprofit providers of behavioral healthcare. She also serves as a family representative on several special-needs boards in the community, locally and nationally.
Amy also participates with other patients and families in efforts supported by the American Board of Pediatrics Foundation. The goal is to address children with special needs and the importance of quality care.
Amy and I have a conversation about the many challenges facing our special needs kids as they transition to remote learning. She shares her personal experience with her daughter and we talk about ways to help navigate this new journey.
More information about Amy Kelly:
More on Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health:
- About Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health
- Who We Help
- Devereux’s Autism Services
- COVID-19 Emergency Preparedness Resource Center
Amy Kelly’s Resources and Tips:
- COVID-19: Helping families with special needs during a public health crisis
- Special Needs & Coronavirus: 4 Ways to Help Kids & Adults With Special Needs Adapt to Wearing Face Masks During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- COVID-19: Tips for Working From Home (And Finding Relief) With Your Children Out of School
- Creative alternatives for continued learning for children with special needs
General Awareness Piece:
Telehealth and Autism:
This episode is sponsored by Mightier. Mightier is an amazing program out of Harvard Medical and Boston Children’s. It uses video games to teach kids to emotionally self-regulate. Visit theautismdad.com/mightier and find out more information, including how to get a free 30-day trial.
This episode is also brought to you by Hero Health. HERO is a smart automatic pill dispenser that dramatically improves medication management and compliance. Learn more at theautismdad.com/hero and use code “theautismdad50” to save $50.