Administrator Array The Autism Dad's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you feel about the removal of the Aspergers diagnosis from the DSM 5?

I thought that I would start things out y touching on something that I know is a hot topic at the moment, especially as we approach the month of May.

How do feel about the removal of the Aspergers diagnosis from the DSM 5?

Do you think that you or your child will be affected by this change? Have you talked to your doctor about this?
    Please share your thoughts and feel free to post any links that might be of any help.

Posted from the My Autism Help app
    Last edited by The Autism Dad; 04-22-2013 at 10:18 PM.

Expert (Occupational Therapist) Array asdot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I originally just posted on the Facebook link but will repost at Rob's request :)

My point was that I think the consolidation of diagnoses is a good thing. I feel that some people have the attitude of " it's just Aspergers " and therefore don't recognise or support the child's difficulties as much. A child with Aspergers can be just as autistic ( or more so ) than a child with classic autism, they just don't have a speech and language delay

3. Thanks The Autism Dad thanked for this post
    Likes Dialves, The Autism Dad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by asdot View Post
    I originally just posted on the Facebook link but will repost at Rob's request :)

My point was that I think the consolidation of diagnoses is a good thing. I feel that some people have the attitude of " it's just Aspergers " and therefore don't recognise or support the child's difficulties as much. A child with Aspergers can be just as autistic ( or more so ) than a child with classic autism, they just don't have a speech and language delay

Well said. I think that makes a lot of sense. :-)

Junior Member Array
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi I'm very late into the conversation but I have one of each and indeed in some aspects the Aspie has more autism than the non-verbal one!

I'm still on the fence though, with the single entry in the current DSM. Mixed feelings.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Junior Member Array
    Post Thanks / Like
    what exactly does this mean?

Junior Member Array
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's confusing. My 10 yr old daughter was just diagnosed as being on the spectrum. The doctor told me they don't say "Asperger's" anymore but to get more information about my child he suggested I look into books about Asperger Girls. The category still exists - Barnes and Noble has a wall of books about it!!

8. Thanks The Autism Dad thanked for this post
    Likes The Autism Dad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Julietdl View Post
    It's confusing. My 10 yr old daughter was just diagnosed as being on the spectrum. The doctor told me they don't say "Asperger's" anymore but to get more information about my child he suggested I look into books about Asperger Girls. The category still exists - Barnes and Noble has a wall of books about it!!
    It really is confusing.. I still hear doctors refer to Aspergers all the time....

Sent from my SM-N920T using My Autism Help Forums mobile app