> SPD as a "diagnosis"

Expert (Occupational Therapist) Array asdot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

SPD as a "diagnosis"

I feel compelled to point out that sensory processing disorder is NOT a diagnosis. It's not (yet) listed in any of the diagnostic manuals and shouldn't be used as a diagnosis. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it doesn't exist. I have it (oral, auditory & tactile defensiveness +more) as an OT, I also treat it. When describing a child I usually refer to "sensory processing differences", some may argue that this is just semantics, however until something is officially recognised as a diagnosis, I don't feel that it's appropriate to use it as such.

Administrator Array The Autism Dad's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by asdot View Post
    I feel compelled to point out that sensory processing disorder is NOT a diagnosis. It's not (yet) listed in any of the diagnostic manuals and shouldn't be used as a diagnosis. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it doesn't exist. I have it (oral, auditory & tactile defensiveness +more) as an OT, I also treat it. When describing a child I usually refer to "sensory processing differences", some may argue that this is just semantics, however until something is officially recognised as a diagnosis, I don't feel that it's appropriate to use it as such.
    That's interesting. I wonder if it's different here in the states. It's always called Sensory Processing Disorder and something that my kids were evaluated for.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's occasionally called that here too, some OTs even "diagnose" it but technically it doesn't exist. I think it's just something that has crept in through usage

Posted from the My Autism Help app

Administrator Array The Autism Dad's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by asdot View Post
    It's occasionally called that here too, some OTs even "diagnose" it but technically it doesn't exist. I think it's just something that has crept in through usage

This is actually really helpful. So many people just assume that it's an actual disorder. I've never heard otherwise but what you said makes perfect sense.

I'm not sure how exactly it could actually be diagnosed as there aren't necessarily any physical symptoms, like you would find in something like low muscle tone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly. The other thing that complicates it is the complexity of sensory dysfunction...whether a child is over responsive or under responsive, whether it is affecting coordination (and then what sensory system changes how you categorise it) or whether it's affecting activity levels and emotional regulation. Some children present as being hyperactive, some present as being clumsy, some as being anxious or emotionally volatile. Some aspects of SPD are covered in diagnoses like Developmental Coordination Disorder or dyspraxia. What would be a more useful diagnosis (and probably easier to write up) would be Sensory Modulation Disorder which basically covers children with sensory defensiveness (usually the most debilitating aspect) and sensory underresponsivity. Modulation refers the brain's ability to judge how much to respond to sensory stimuli - and what kind of response "yep, just a tag on my back" vs "OH MY GOD WHAT IS THAT GET IT OFF"

Member Array
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sensory processing disorder has always been around people have just assumed thats autism. But you can have children that have sensory processing disorders that aren't autistic. But all autistic children do have sensory processing issues. A very good book to read is the out of sync child. Schools in England now don't get enough funding for kids with autism as 1 in 10 kids have some form of it. But if they say they have sensory processing disorder they get all the funding they want.

Junior Member Array
    Post Thanks / Like
    Diagnosis of Sensory Processing Disorder usually begins with screening, which is basically a professional search for red flags that indicate enough differences in development to warrant a more comprehensive assessment. Screening may take place at school, in your doctor's office, or at a private practice clinic. Wherever it occurs, you are likely to be asked to fill out one or more parent checklists and a developmental history to supplement the observations of the evaluators.

Post Thanks / Like
    My son has got sensory issues and he behaves like he has aspergers he has not been diagnosed yet but I have worked with children for 20 + years and have seen many special needs

Post Thanks / Like
    I have read the out of sync child and how to raise a sensory smart child . My son is an over responder and is sensory seeking he also has over sensitive senses smell ,taste feel and sound he also is very highly strung and can't sit still he is also very aggressive and violent especially towards me his Mum. He is adopted and had drug withdrawal at birth maybe this has something to due with it I don't know.

Post Thanks / Like
    My son I think has Aspergers and sensory issues but the worst thing is he is so aggressive and violent he also has severe meltdowns lasting hours (4 hours being the longest so far )