Junior Member Array
    Post Thanks / Like

Low functioning Autism teens

I always hear stories about kids and teens with Autism but they just never seem to compare to our life. My son is almost 16 and is still non verbal with so many behaviroal issues it's unbelievable. He has sensory integration disorder, severe anxiety, OCD, severe hyperactivity, sleep problems, gastrointestinal problems, eating issues, allergies, you name it. There are really no qualified doctors in our area who can help with all of his needs and issues. Everyone with knowledge of Autism lives far away from where we are. Considering it is now 1 in 80 in Colorado for Autism diagnosis, it's extremely disheartening that there are still not nearly enough resources out there especially for older children. The Autism schools and therapists all are concentrating on early intervention (young children) which means the older children and adults often get the shaft.

Are there any other parents out there in a similar position as we are? Are there other parents of children with Autism who feel the same as I do? I feel like I am really the only one who cannot seem to get the sufficient services even though we have accessed dozens and dozens ever since he was diagnosed in 2000.

Junior Member Array
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi. I just started working with a young boy and I live in Ithaca, NY. THis school district works daily to support parents and children diagnosed with Autism.
    We also have the Fransiska Racker Centers and Unity House programs available that may have support they can offer to you, or ideas.
    My school gives me many professionals to help.
    Wishing you good luck.
    Ms.V