Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Administrator Array The Autism Dad's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay... Take a deep breath..

First of all, the doctors saying they are scared for your son is both unprofessional and just messed up.

I'm not familiar with where you live but I would highly recommend seeing a neurodevelopmental pediatrician.. There could be more than Autism on the list of possibilities.

That being said, regression of this nature isn't all that common, I know because this happened to my son. It had nothing to do with vaccines or anything like that.

It was like we put him to bed Gavin and he woke up someone else. He'd stopped being affectionate and his speech regressed. Skills he had mastered were impacted as well.

He was around 3 or 4 when this happened.

Things like this can sometime ebb and flow, meaning that like my son, skills can be lost but also relearned.

Speech is something that therapy can help as occupational and physical therapies can help with many of the other sensory and body related struggles.

It's really good that you got your son help as early as you did because early intervention is so important.

I imagine that genetic testing is being done and that can help rule out many things.

If I were in your situation again, I would get speech, OT and PT on board ASAP.

Something else to keep in mind and many other Autism parents will tell you the same thing. Never let anything tell you what your child will or will not be able to do.

We were told my youngest would never speak and while it took time, patience and therapy, he's doing amazing.

Never give up and trust your instincts because no one knows your child better than you.

We are always here...

Sent from my SM-N920T using My Autism Help Forums mobile app

Junior Member Array
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by droidlynnxdoes View Post
    Is it possible for Autism to regress at the age of 23? I have AS but despite taking my meds everyday I feel.that it's regressing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    I'm 32 with AS. My symptoms are definitely worse if I'm excessively stressed out, anxious or depressed. I also have other related issues if I do not socialize and/or somehow keep busy on a regular basis.

Junior Member Array
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chadcans View Post
    Regressive behaviour can be caused by stress, frustration or a traumatic event. Some common causes are the arrival of a new sibling, divorce, dealing with a death, moving or starting a new school or daycare. In these situations, children often feel insecure, angry or scared, and lack the communication skills to share these feelings with the adults in their lives. As a result, children revert to behaviours that they know will attract the attention of these adults.
    As an adult with autism, I can tell you that such regression is not always willful. I never had the regression that some children with autism have, but I have experienced it on a lower scale as an adult. You're right in that a major trigger can be excessive stress and I have a few others, but I can assure you that such behavior is not always willful or designed at getting attention. Like any other chronic health condition, be it physical or psychological, problems like stress make things worse for people on the spectrum no matter how old a person is. It's the equivalent of someone's blood pressure going up because they're in the middle of a nasty divorce. With autistic children, sometimes regression also occurs along with the other symptoms that initially present with autism. In some of these cases, the regression takes place after the child has been acquiring knowledge and skills at a hyper-accelerated rate.

Administrator Array The Autism Dad's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ddfad View Post
    As an adult with autism, I can tell you that such regression is not always willful. I never had the regression that some children with autism have, but I have experienced it on a lower scale as an adult. You're right in that a major trigger can be excessive stress and I have a few others, but I can assure you that such behavior is not always willful or designed at getting attention. Like any other chronic health condition, be it physical or psychological, problems like stress make things worse for people on the spectrum no matter how old a person is. It's the equivalent of someone's blood pressure going up because they're in the middle of a nasty divorce. With autistic children, sometimes regression also occurs along with the other symptoms that initially present with autism. In some of these cases, the regression takes place after the child has been acquiring knowledge and skills at a hyper-accelerated rate.
    Thank you so much for your insight. We're all better for it... ☺

Sent from my SM-N920T using My Autism Help Forums mobile app