Junior Member Array
    Post Thanks / Like

Need some advice

My family member has two children ages 2 and 4 diagnosed with autism I love them so much, everyday they amaze me. But I completely understand sometimes parents of autistic kids get frustrated and stressed, but the problem we are having is the parents to the two kids are constantly yelling at the kids and have no patience and even say things to or about the kids that make me so angry and want to cry. I wanted to get the 4 year old into a class that I would take him to and pay for to get him out, which he loves to get out. But his mother in the shortest words possible said "he can't do things like that, I don't think he is even capable of doing that, essentially saying he's not smart" . And I spend so much time with them I know what he can and cannot handle. What do I do they won't let anyone help out and when they get frustrated and angry our family trys to help and they blow up at us unless the situation is thought up by them by dropping off the kids. And their parents are always glued to their electronic devices and can't seem to deal with the kids and they are literally lazy people even before they had kids, I've known the parents for 27 years. But it's the kids getting the short end of the stick. We do what we can but I don't know what to do anymore any positive comments on how to deal with this situation would be welcomed. Thank you

Posted from the My Autism Help app

Junior Member Array
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefulauntiex2 View Post
    My family member has two children ages 2 and 4 diagnosed with autism I love them so much, everyday they amaze me. But I completely understand sometimes parents of autistic kids get frustrated and stressed, but the problem we are having is the parents to the two kids are constantly yelling at the kids and have no patience and even say things to or about the kids that make me so angry and want to cry. I wanted to get the 4 year old into a class that I would take him to and pay for to get him out, which he loves to get out. But his mother in the shortest words possible said "he can't do things like that, I don't think he is even capable of doing that, essentially saying he's not smart" . And I spend so much time with them I know what he can and cannot handle. What do I do they won't let anyone help out and when they get frustrated and angry our family trys to help and they blow up at us unless the situation is thought up by them by dropping off the kids. And their parents are always glued to their electronic devices and can't seem to deal with the kids and they are literally lazy people even before they had kids, I've known the parents for 27 years. But it's the kids getting the short end of the stick. We do what we can but I don't know what to do anymore any positive comments on how to deal with this situation would be welcomed. Thank you

Posted from the My Autism Help app
    Hi. This is a sad situation. The parents are either still trying to figure things out, or both using phones and devices to escape the chaos. Maybe start by offering them a break to recharge, and do sone babysitting. If you can handle an evening and they are open to it, maybe they can have a night away. That might be a start. Having one little one on the spectrum is hard enough; two and both so young must be beyond overwelming. You can try to find a local support group and ask for advice or leads. If you find an Autism playgroup, the parents can't come up with a reason to refuse. Let them know you just want to help them and they need for their own sanity to accept the help. It sounda like they feel they are the victims of this and not the children,so go with that for now just to get them to agree.

Sent using Tapatalk 2