> How was your child/children diagnosed? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Junior Member Array
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im so thankful for this site. My sons name is Wyatt he will be 3 next month. He was dignosed at the Marcus autism center in atlanta. I got her full report but its so confusing. He is completely non verbal. He likes to play by himself mostly but will interact with other kids sometimes. He loves his routine and gets bothered if its thrown off. He spins a lot or runs back and forth to one door to the next. Wyatt is very affectionate and cuddly to people he loves such as me his grandparents and teacher at daycare. He has even given his prized sippy cup to his lil brother when he cries (he is 11 months) he loves pizza rolls and chicken nuggets with bbq sauce. Im also a single mother

2. Thanks The Autism Dad thanked for this post
    Administrator Array The Autism Dad's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wyattsmomma22 View Post
    Im so thankful for this site. My sons name is Wyatt he will be 3 next month. He was dignosed at the Marcus autism center in atlanta. I got her full report but its so confusing. He is completely non verbal. He likes to play by himself mostly but will interact with other kids sometimes. He loves his routine and gets bothered if its thrown off. He spins a lot or runs back and forth to one door to the next. Wyatt is very affectionate and cuddly to people he loves such as me his grandparents and teacher at daycare. He has even given his prized sippy cup to his lil brother when he cries (he is 11 months) he loves pizza rolls and chicken nuggets with bbq sauce. Im also a single mother
    Those are all great things. The fact that he's social is great because so many kids aren't. He even loves messy foods and that's a huge plus. He shares and can empathize with his younger brother. That's awesome.

I know it's scary but my son didn't start talking till he was four. He was considered preverbal because he made sounds but one day a switch just flipped and he's talking up a storm and you'd never know he's only been verbal a few years.

Make sure you grab our app on the google play store and soon on the iPhone and iPad as well.

Stay strong.

Junior Member Array
    Post Thanks / Like
    My son is 3 and 5 months old he has just had an educational diagnosis of autism wat type and how serve we have been told we will never know . He is very well behaved and does what he is told most of the time his talking skills r coming on slowly but surely he is very clever but can't tell us what events happened during his day. He plays with other kids when he choses he is ver affectionate to his family members. My heart is breaking and no one seems to want to tell us what may happen in the future. Will he b able to stay in a mainstream school with some support or will it get so bad that he will need to go to a special education unit?? I'm finding it difficult to take on as 1 physiologist was not even in the same room as him when she explained that he did have autism.

5. Thanks The Autism Dad thanked for this post
    Likes The Autism Dad liked this post
    Junior Member Array
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are still waiting for an official diagnosis. The school psychologist says high functioning autism and OCD.

Felicia

"Life isn't about what others think, but what you think of yourself"

7. Thanks The Autism Dad thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mummyno1 View Post
    My son is 3 and 5 months old he has just had an educational diagnosis of autism wat type and how serve we have been told we will never know . He is very well behaved and does what he is told most of the time his talking skills r coming on slowly but surely he is very clever but can't tell us what events happened during his day. He plays with other kids when he choses he is ver affectionate to his family members. My heart is breaking and no one seems to want to tell us what may happen in the future. Will he b able to stay in a mainstream school with some support or will it get so bad that he will need to go to a special education unit?? I'm finding it difficult to take on as 1 physiologist was not even in the same room as him when she explained that he did have autism.
    I'm so sorry for your heartache. I've been through this 3 times over the last decade or so and it never got any easier to hear.

First of all, where abouts are you located?

There is a medical diagnosis of Autism and an educational diagnosis. I happen to think it's ridiculous but such is the convoluted way of the world.

The truth is that no one can tell you what the future holds for your son because each child is different.

My youngest was non-verbal for most of his 6 years and we were told that he would never have language skills. About 2 years ago he just started talking and is doing great. He's not without his challenges but I'm managing and he's doing well.

Being that you are so new to this journey, it is a scary time but truthfully, it sounds like your son has some really good things going for him.

Don't take crap from anyone when it comes to your son. The reality is that you know him better than any doctor or teacher. Trust your instincts and be his advocate. Learn your rights and your sons rights.

Most of all, never lose hope and always know that we are here for you.

Junior Member Array
    Post Thanks / Like
    It just came to my knowledge at 17 that I have something called Asperger's Syndrome. I was told by my high school resource teacher. But my mom recently told me that I was never diagnosed formally and I don't know why. She says I only experience some symptoms. I have proof of possible Aspergers from a psychologist.

I think I need to get a formal diagnosis because I'm very confused. One person says I have it and my mom says I was never diagnosed. Because of the fact that I'm experiencing symptoms of AS has put me in a position, at almost 23 that makes me think, "Why didn't my mom take me for a formal diagnosis as a child?"

10. Thanks The Autism Dad thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ntalwar93 View Post
    It just came to my knowledge at 17 that I have something called Asperger's Syndrome. I was told by my high school resource teacher. But my mom recently told me that I was never diagnosed formally and I don't know why. She says I only experience some symptoms. I have proof of possible Aspergers from a psychologist.

I think I need to get a formal diagnosis because I'm very confused. One person says I have it and my mom says I was never diagnosed. Because of the fact that I'm experiencing symptoms of AS has put me in a position, at almost 23 that makes me think, "Why didn't my mom take me for a formal diagnosis as a child?"
    Thanks for sharing for starters.. ☺

I can't speak for your parents but I think that until recently, people weren't really focused on a diagnosis for many reasons.

Some parents would think that a label was harmful or maybe they just didn't see anything different about you.

The other thing is that a formal diagnosis isn't always easy or even attainable and frankly, I would not take a statement from a resource teacher as a medical diagnosis.

You're 23 now, how's life treating you?

I'll also added that I would bet just about anything that my younger brother is an Aspie but I only know that now because of what I've learned from my kids... ☺

Sent from my SM-N920T using My Autism Help Forums mobile app

Junior Member Array
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have papers from a clinical psychologist regarding Aspergers at 10 years old and as far as I can remember, NOTHING was done about it. It was never passed on to my paediatrician.

13. Thanks The Autism Dad thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ntalwar93 View Post
    I have papers from a clinical psychologist regarding Aspergers at 10 years old and as far as I can remember, NOTHING was done about it. It was never passed on to my paediatrician.
    I don't know what to say but I'm sorry. Did you struggle in school? Are you feeling that you needed more support that a formal diagnosis would provide? Are you angry?

I wouldn't blame you for saying yes to all of the above....

I'm just a little confused about what you're asking but I'd like to help and if nothing else, I'm here to listen... ☺

Sent from my SM-N920T using My Autism Help Forums mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    My 4 yo daughter was given her diagnosis after almost 2 years of assessments at the child development centre along with reports from nursery and speech therapy. It was only given last month so I'm still so confused as to what to do now x s

Sent from my SM-N920C using My Autism Help Forums mobile app