Night Terrors and Autism

Emmett John is up again screaming. He screams and flails around. This is just like Gavin did when he was little. He will bang him head around if we let him go. Lizze finally took him downstairs for a change of scenery. Hopefully he will go back to sleep.
LT

Posted with WordPress for BlackBerry.

Rob Gorski

Full time, work from home single Dad to my 3 amazing boys. Oh...and creator fo this blog. :-)
0 0 votes
Article Rating

Join The Conversation

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

7 Comments
most voted
newest oldest
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

tnxfor this article so i was searching for similararticle for weeks,tnx!

@achievebeyondus

It is difficult at times to raise a child with autism. We at Bilinguals Inc. / Achieve Beyond hope you can get the night terrors under control and you some sleep as well.
My recent post Bilinguals Inc. Announces Two New CEU Workshops

roncap

I have been reading your blog for quite some time. You are by far one on the strongest men I "know." You are also very inspiring.

Stay Strong.

Lost and Tired

Thank you for the compliment. I have to say that I would have crumbled long ago if I didn't have my wife. We keep eachother going. Thanks again.

Nikky

See! I'm notthe only one who thinks your strong!!! 😉

fiona2107

Have you noticed a pattern in any of the night terrors?
There may not be , but both of my autistic boys have them and my 3 yr had one only last night.
For my boys, I can "usually" (though not always) figure out what started it.
For example – being too hot and sweating in bed, missing his day nap or being overtired when he is put to bed.
Although I KNOW that sometimes there is absolutely NO explanation to them at all and you just have to wait it out.
I completely understand the effect sleep deprivation has on a family, my 7 yr old still sleep walks, has terrors as well as nightmares and rarely sleeps through the night.
He also takes HOURS to go to sleep. I don't think any of us have had a full night sleep in 7 yrs. And as you would know…..being up "6" times to your child doesn't mean….getting up six times and then going back to bed. No, it means "getting up the first time then having to go straight back for another 2 hours within minutes of returning to bed.
It's utterly exhausting and my heart goes out to your family and I sincerely hope that you have a better night tomorrow night. 🙂

Lost and Tired

You know the only pattern is it happens at night 😉 his may be diet related also. He is very lactose intolerant and if he has something he shouldn't he will be up screaming from cramps and gas. But there is a difference between gas and night terrors. Night terrors are very unsettling to experience because there is very little you can do.

Your right about the long nights, most people don't understand that. We have been doing this almost 10 years now and its exhausting.

Thanks for your thoughts. We will also be thinking about you guys. I hope you find some sleep also.