Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here

Junior Member Array nathanialsmom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

New here

Hi my name is Amanda and I have an 11 year old son who has ADHD ADD anxiety depression Aspergers multiple learning disabilities I am having a hard time dealing with him being in a new school he just started middle school and he is not adjusting well at all I need help what do u guys do to make it easier on your kids

2. Thanks The Autism Dad thanked for this post
    Likes The Autism Dad liked this post
    Administrator Array The Autism Dad's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. Those are all very tough things. Two of my three on the spectrum deal with ADHD, Depression and extreme anxiety.

I guess my first question is does he have an IEP?

Sent from my SM-N920T using My Autism Help Forums mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes he does

5. Thanks The Autism Dad thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Every kid is different but what kinds of things are you seeing

Post Thanks / Like
    He's not making friends he is getting bullied and fighting everyday he don't want to go to school I have gone to the school numerous times and spoke to them I just don't know what else to do

8. Thanks The Autism Dad thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry, my reply didn't go through...

Difficulty making friends is very common amongst kids on the spectrum. Not wanting to go to school is something I deal with almost every single day with my kids and they aren't being bullied..

I guess my next question would be, what is the school doing to help your son?

Maybe this isn't a good fit for him?

Am I correct in assuming that he's mainstreamed? If so, perhaps you look at that and explore other options.

My last question is where abouts do you live because location can impact the advice you get from people here...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanialsmom View Post
    He's not making friends he is getting bullied and fighting everyday he don't want to go to school I have gone to the school numerous times and spoke to them I just don't know what else to do
    I've reached out to my readers and have asked them to stop by and offer whatever help they can....

Junior Member Array
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    I agree with Autism Dad, perhaps your son's current school is not a good fit and you may need to explore more options.

12. Thanks The Autism Dad thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Huma View Post
    Hi,
    I agree with Autism Dad, perhaps your son's current school is not a good fit and you may need to explore more options.
    That's my thought but if it's a new school, there's always a period of adjustment. My question is what's the school doing to support him and aide in this transition?

14. Thanks nathanialsmom thanked for this post
    Junior Member Array
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanialsmom View Post
    Hi my name is Amanda and I have an 11 year old son who has ADHD ADD anxiety depression Aspergers multiple learning disabilities I am having a hard time dealing with him being in a new school he just started middle school and he is not adjusting well at all I need help what do u guys do to make it easier on your kids
    Try to find something he likes and is good at and sign him up for it so he can establish an identity outside of school. Middle school, as a whole, can really suck. I spent more time in the principal's office in 6th and 7th grade than all of the other years of my compulsory education combined, mainly for fighting. Thank G_d I was redistricted for 8th grade. From eight grade through twelfth, I only got in trouble once. My record for elementary school was about the same.

A friend of mine, who I will tell you more about in the next paragraph joined the JROTC so he could go to an out of district high school instead of the one in his district that was full of the same shits that he and I went to middle school wit in 6th and 7th grade. Having a special interest or developed skill could let your son attend a magnet school if his assigned high school doesn't seem like a good idea. It could also make it easier for him to earn scholarships for high school and/or college.

Also, Rob might be right, so keep a damn sharp eye on what goes down and know your rights. Do not be afraid to advocate. My friend who did JROTC had it way worse than I did in middle school. Part of the difference was that he was bullied a lot more by teachers than I was at that school.I didn't see a lot of what happened to him, but I saw these teachers in action with others, myself included. Even now, after years of school shootings, that is an issue that really doesn't get the attention that it deserves. There was also a lot of looking the other way if he was picked on, etc., but if he did anything to attempt to defend himself, he got in trouble. It was so bad, he repeated the 6th grade. Eventually, his parents got the school to avoid them taking legal action by paying for his transportation to an out of district middle school. He had been transferred out of his elementary school for similar reasons in the 2nd grade. Years later, I told his mother some of what I heard our kindergarten teacher say to him and, even with all of this issues she had with the school, she had had no idea about any of that. I wasn't diagnosed as autistic until I was 27, he wasn't until he was 31. We're the same age. He had an IEP and was made aware of it. I had one until 7th grade and knew nothing about it until I was 22.