Before you even watch the following video, we must be clear on a few things.
You should read Behavioral Crisis: Here’s what happened first for background.
A few things to keep in mind:
1) This is not an #Autism related meltdown. It’s a RAD related tantrum. Big difference and must be handled differently.
2) Gavin has complete control over this behavior. You don’t have to like it, but it’s a fact.
3) The self-injurious behavior is meant to manipulate us into removing the consequence he’s facing for his previous actions. We cannot intervene.
4) This is not easy or pleasant to watch. Turn your volume down and don’t let young children view, until you have seen the whole video.
5) I’m not without compassion for Gavin, however, this has to be handled in a very specific way.
6) As bad as this sounds, he does not need comfort. Remember, this is a temper tantrum not a sensory related meltdown.
7) I document these for a couple of reasons:
a) proof as to how his injuries occured
b) behavioral documentation for his doctors and specialists
c) educational purposes
Having said all of the above. Here is the footage, documenting what happened this morning. Again, please remember that while Gavin does have aspergers, this is a reactive attachment disorder related temper tantrum.
This is handled in a manner that is significantly different from a sensory related meltdown, common to people on the spectrum.
By sharing this, I hope to provide insight into what families like mine are trying to cope with.
Lizze and I both want something positive to come out of this nightmare. Hopefully, by helping to educate the public, people can become more aware of what some special needs families are going through.
Again, this video is unpleasant but important to watch. Please be aware this is very loud and Gavin is very violent towards himself. Viewer discretion is strongly advised.
Also, the only thing you will really hear me say during this video is basically reminding Gavin to scream into his pillow and keep the tantrum on the mattress.
[youtube width=”640″ height=”480″]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo12uZQ2B9Y[/youtube]