Written by me, Rob Gorski (Lost and Tired) and dedicated to my amazingly beautiful children.
1. I’m sorry I have fits but I’m not a spoiled brat. I’m just so much younger on the inside than I am on the outside.
2. I’m easily overwhelmed because I see and hear everything. I hear the lights hum and clock tick. Everything is so loud it makes my head hurt all the time and my eyes hurt from all the bright lights.
3. I’m not stupid, I’m actually very smart. I just don’t learn the way you want me to. Please learn about Autism so you know how to help me better understand what you are trying to teach.
4. Please don’t be mad at mommy and daddy because we don’t come over for holidays or birthdays. They really want to go but I don’t do well at another person’s house. It’s too overwhelming for me and they know that. They don’t go because they love me, NOT because they don’t like you.
5. Please have patience with me. I try really hard to make good decisions but I can be very impulsive at times.
6. Yes, I have Autism but that doesn’t mean I’m less of a person because of it. If anything, I’m actually more of a person in spite of it.
7. My house might be messy sometimes. It’s because my mommy and daddy spend all their time trying to find new ways to help me or teach my brother to talk..
8. Just because I can’t talk doesn’t mean I don’t understand what you are saying. My feelings can be hurt just like yours.
9. I wish my mommy and daddy knew how much I love them. I have a really hard time with emotions and I don’t always like to be touched. But I love them more than anything in the world, even more then my Lego’s.
10. I know I can be frustrating but don’t tell me I won’t amount to anything because I have Autism. If you love and support me I WILL do great things in my life in spite of my challenges.
I recently put together this little movie based on the above post. They are basically the same message, one is in written words and one is spoken word. 🙂
If you liked this piece, please read My Broken Heart or Thank You For Judging Me, you may appreciate these as well.
Please feel free to use this piece for educational purposes or to help spread Autism Awareness. Please DO NOT use this for personal monetary profit. I also ask that you provide proper credit and a link back to my blog (if you post it online).