Things I do to manage my #Autism Parenting Stress

While we were at the park today, I spent some time taking pictures of the many flowers that are living there. The last time we were there, we saw an elderly couple working in the garden, and they did an amazing job. I wish my yard looked even a tiny fraction of how good this huge garden does. I'm feeling motived to work in the yard this summer, and make things look as nice as they possibly can. We're somewhat limited because of funding and where we live, but I'm all about making the best of what we have to work with...

One of the most important things an Autism parent can do is take care of themselves. I wanted to share one of the things I do in order to better manage my stress. While we were at the park today, I spent some time taking pictures of the many flowers that are living there. Taking pictures relaxes me and helps me to put things into perspective.

I wish my yard looked even a tiny fraction of how good this huge garden does. I’m feeling motived to work in the yard this summer and make things look as nice as they possibly can.

We’re somewhat limited because of funding and where we live, but I’m all about making the best of what we have to work with…p

Read This  Just some stretching during occupational therapy at Akron Children's Hospital

• kimmy gebhardt says:

Sounds good. Remind me this fall and I’m happy to send them.

• kimmy gebhardt says:

Do you have a PO Box? I will send you Columbine seeds this fall. I have more than enough.

• Rob Gorski says:

When you’re ready to do that, I’ll just send you my address.. I don have a position box and it should be on my contact page. I don’t remember it off the top of my head. Thanks for this. The boys will have fun… ☺

• kimmy gebhardt says:

Sounds good. Remind me this fall and I’m happy to send them.

• Rob Gorski says:

• Jenny says:

Home grown food tastes better and is way healthier too

Marigolds are also super easy and you can harvest those seeds as well, and help keep away the mosquitoes

• kimmy gebhardt says:

I replied to this on my phone but it doesn’t seem to have taken, so I will try again. Eating food that you have grown is fantastic. There is a real sense of accomplishment and it might help the boys want to try some new foods and get more vegetables and fruits into their diets. If you’re looking for flowers that will spread, I have had good luck with lilies and Columbine. The fun part with Columbine is that you can harvest the seeds yourself and throw them into a new spot and they will grow the following year. Harvesting the seeds is as easy as dumping the dried flower pod into your hand.

• Rob Gorski says:

Your last comment was stuck in spam again. I don’t know the deal is but I approved it. I think this is a really good idea. Veggies won’t work necessarily but other plants might.. ☺

• kimmy gebhardt says:

Eating food that you have grown is so great too. If he’s looking for flowers, lilies will spread like crazy once they’ve established themselves. And I can’t keep Columbine contained- I planted a few plants and now they are everywhere.

• Jenny says:

Or cucumbers or even strawberries grow like mad and are easy to tend to

• kimmy gebhardt says:

Jenny has a good idea. I can remember planting seeds when I was young and it was great to see them start to grow. For $15 you could also buy a large pot, some soil, and a squash plant. You will be amazed at how many squash you’ll have. Even if you aren’t a fan, you still get to see the flowers turn into fruit.

• Jenny says:

And seeds are relatively cheap, it might be fun for the boys to watch them grown and take care of them

• kimmy gebhardt says:

I can understand not being able to turn your yard into a showplace because of lack of funds, but don’t let where you live stop you. Even if you have a neighborhood full of ugly yards, you can still make yours pretty. It doesn’t have to be fancy or flower-filled to be well kept and attractive. I always love coming home to a freshly cut and mulched yard. It’s just relaxing when I pull up. Have the boys help you pick up sticks or dig up weeds or old plants or whatever. Make some family time out of the initial clean up and then let them help you maintain it. Enjoy some time outside this summer.

• Jenny says:

Home grown food tastes better and is way healthier too

• Rob Gorski says:

• kimmy gebhardt says:

Eating food that you have grown is so great too. If he&#8217s looking for flowers, lilies will spread like crazy once they&#8217ve established themselves. And I can&#8217t keep Columbine contained- I planted a few plants and now they are everywhere.

• Jenny says: