Looking at it strictly from a salmonella angle, we won’t know anything for up to three days. We talked about inducing vomiting because that would get it out of his system but decided against it. If he vomits, we run the very real risk of causing an autonomic crisis.
We also thought about trying to speed up his digestive system with milk of magnesia but ended up scratching that off the list. If he takes milk of magnesia and ends up with diarrhea, we won’t know if it’s the medicine or salmonella related.
Shit…This sucks because the best option is to hurry up and wait. If you’ve been reading for awhile, you may remember that I hate everything about hurry up and wait.
The plan at this point is to keep him hydrated. If he shows any signs of nausea, cramping or straight up vomiting, we go straight to the emergency room.
Here’s the thing about salmonella. While most people won’t get sick, the ones that do, will be sick for about seven days. The scary part is that salmonella can be fatal for the very old, very young and those with compromised immune systems. Gavin certainly qualifies.
He just had his IVIG infusion tonight and hopefully, that will help. He did go to bed with a bad headache but it could be from the infusion.
We made it very clear to Gavin that he needs to tell us if anything feels funny.
If he’s still okay by Tuesday, I think we’re in the clear. There are a great many unknown factors. He’s chronically constipated and we don’t know if that will complicate anything.
At this point, he’s sleeping and that’s a good thing. This isn’t the best way to begin the weekend but why not, things weren’t already hard enough. lol
I’m not insensitive to this whole thing but if I don’t have a sense of humor, I’ll go crazy…