My son with #Autism will no longer wear shoes

I really worried about this upcoming school year for Emmett. He hasn’t tolerated shoes in almost 2 months. He’s been wearing flip flops, which sorta seems odd but that’s all he will wear.

He has to wear shoes at school, flip flops won’t cut it.

I went out and bought him water shoes yesterday which he did wear for a bit before telling me they feel funny.

The sensory issues he’s been struggling with for most of his life have kicked into overdrive. At least that’s how it seems. I don’t know what I’m doing to do for school.

Brushing doesn’t help either because I’ve already been trying that.

Between the bathroom and the sensory related clothing issues, I’m completely overwhelmed. These not only impact him but everyone else in the house as well.

Trying to go anywhere is impossible or at the very least, met with significant delays.

Read This  Autonomic Crisis: Selling the Drama

• Guest says:

Why not make it a goal that the school helps tackle? Maybe he wears flip flops to school as wearing proper shoes is a school rule, not a house rule. Then at school he puts his proper shoes on. Make them the bad guy

• Mumanddadneedhelp says:

So I am wondering two year on, how did it go have you got your son in school shoes or any shoes ? I am having the same problems , my son has not been diagnosed with anything but I am beginning to think this is not right, perhaps triggered further by wearing crocs all summer. I would love to hear how you got on.

• Mumanddadneedhelp says:

• Guest says:

How about taking him out to let him pick new socks and a pair of shoes specifically for school? He could try on lots of different shoes until he finds a pair he feels comfortable wearing, let him pick some brand new socks too, Wont after if they are pink or have batman on them, something he can have as his own accomplishment. and those socks and that pair of shoes are ONLY for going to school.

• Guest says:

Would he wear Crocs maybe?

• Guest says:

Does he do compression? We found water shoes help, but it makes it better when they are adjustable so he asks them to be tightened.

• Guest says:

Would he wear Crocs maybe?

• Guest says:

sweetiesmama and was forced to go out anyway I really quick understood that wearing shoes will save me from more overload than they cause

• Guest says:

sweetiesmama Try to get him out anyway. He can decide not to wear shoes, as long as he goes out. I had that phase too in my life(1/2)

• Guest says:

Recently been there again too part of it was worse when he his feet was growing also he has feet issues from his other health problem. I recently had to do new shoes and socks . Dealing with other sensory challenges again too. It can’t be helped only time pretty much. Working on Getting him to wear hats again too.
    I would see about if socks would be okay I know at one school my son went too they let kids do just socks for awhile

• Guest says:

Would he wear Crocs maybe?

• Guest says:

Honestly, at this point he’s just gonna have to suck it up. I know that sensory issues can be problematic but if it’s a requirement to wear shoes at school what else can be done? Would it help him to just go around in socks for awhile and then add shoes? As bad as I feel to say this he really has to tackle the sensitivity head on.