Here’s how we figured out the legal problems after Gavin turned 18

I was finally able to connect with the person in the legal department at Akron Children’s Hospital today, that I needed to speak with. We had a somewhat lengthy conversation about Gavin and how we should proceed with the legal quandary of him turning 18 years old, being legally incompetent and us being unable to complete guardianship at the moment.

The current plan is to use a medical power of attorney and when it comes to signing any paperwork, Gavin will sign but so will we. I guess that covers our bases.

Everyone understands what’s going on and shockingly (I say with total sarcasm), it’s a first for everyone.



We have to get the papers signed and notorized in the morning. I will deliver them, along with a sworn affidavit from his psychologist that he understands what he’s signing and barring any objection from the actual providers, we should be good to go until guardianship is finalized.

This isn’t the way medical power of attorney is necessarily intended to be used but in our situation, with everyone on the same page, it should work just fine.

Now all we have to do is get his infusion meds today, and get him medically cleared by his immunologist. We should then be able to proceed with next Friday’s surgery.

Assuming all the pieces fall in place the way they are predicted to do, we should be okay for now.

We still need to finish guardianship but we have some breathing room and we can either save up for or find an attorney that is willing to help us with the paperwork. Legal aide is our first stop.

Read This  It's not easy to remain positive in the face of heartbreaking news but giving up is not an option

Like I’ve said a million times, every win is a victory, no matter how big or small. Every victory is precious and never taken for granted.



  • Pony says:

    How did it go at the notary?

    • Facebook Profile photo Rob Gorski says:

      We didn’t go today because we were waiting for Gavin’s meds to arrive. By the time that happened, our notary wasn’t available. We’re making that tomorrow’s primary focus. We’ll take care of it in the morning. If we can’t get into the one we normally use, we’ll simply go to the bank. Good question. I sorta forgot to talk about that today.

  • CJ says:

    My gosh, what a whirlwind. Making a decision to keep Gavin away from large groups and family as to not expose him to getting sick to planning for his surgery in 3 crazy days. How do you keep up!!