Today marks day 70 of COVID19 lockdown for my family. It’s been a long journey and I’m afraid we aren’t even almost there yet.
I’m preparing to remain locked down as long as it takes to keep my family safe. Yes, it’s a massive sacrifice but the alternative is unacceptable to me. We have made some progress in one area and I wanted to share that.
All visits had stopped due to lockdown. Gavin’s immunocompromised and Lizze has high risk people in her house. I approached Lizze about finding a way to make at least one visit work.
After some discussion, we decided that if everyone in her house locked down for 14 days, and at the end of that time, everyone was fever free and healthy, we could allow the kids to spend 2 days with her. This is not easy for me to do because I have to trust where trust is difficult. I feel like Lizze understands the gravity of this and while it’s hard for me to let go a little right now, I think it’s good for them to see her and I think it’s good for her to see them.
There are many complications that I’ve not spoken about in regards to the ending of my marriage and I have reasons for everything I do. None of my actions are malicious in any way. Every decision I make that might appear that way in the outside, is made in concert with the advice and guidance of the kids doctors and therapists. Everything is about the kids.
It’s not that I fear Lizze will do anything to hurt the kids. I know she wouldn’t. This is more about me letting go during a time that I know I can only ensure their safety if I don’t let go. Does that make sense?