While this is meant to be somewhat humorous, it’s also trying to make a point. Statements like these are not helpful. They can can be annoying and even downright offensive. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard things like:
- You should use a sticker chart because all kids respond to sticker charts.
- You need to discipline your child and they won’t act that way.
- Are you sure he’s Autistic because he doesn’t look Autistic.
- Don’t worry, he’ll outgrow it.
- He’s just a picky eater, and he’ll eat when he’s hungry.
- I know all about Autism, I’ve seen Rain Man.
I will say that a good number of the people who have said these things to me have been well intentioned. They mean well but at the same time, these are some of the most upsetting, offensive and frustrating things an Autism Parent can hear.
This is pretty universal in the sense that it doesn’t matter who you are or where you live, Autism Parents hear these same comments all the time.
I put this little image together a few years back and it’s meant to be fun and informative. I’m not suggesting, condoning or encouraging violence of any kind. It’s just something Autism Parents have really appreciated over the years and many people have printed it out and posted somewhere so people learn what not to say.
I used to do a lot of construction work and this was inspired by some of the warning signs I’ve seen.
Please feel free to download, share or print out this image. I hope it helps. If nothing else, maybe you got a chuckle from it. ☺